- Stay in the kitchen and keep your eye on the food cooking on the stove top.
- Stay in the home when cooking your turkey and check it often.
- Keep children away from the stove.
- Make sure kids stay away from hot food and liquids. The steam or splash from vegetables, gravy or coffee could cause serious burns.
- Keep the floor clear so you don’t trip over kids, toys, or bags.
- Keep knives out of the reach of children.
- Be sure electric cords from an electric knife, coffee maker, plate warmer or mixer are not dangling off the counter within easy reach of a child.
- Keep matches and utility lighters out of the reach of children.
- Never leave children alone in room with a lit candle.
- Make sure your smoke alarms are working.
Download our safety tip sheet here
Source: National Fire Protection Association