Consequences could range from drastic rate increases or even cancellation.
The Connecticut Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) does yet not penalize distracted driving with the same number of points as a major violation. But some insurance companies are starting to. And, many more are following suit.
- In 2017, distracted driving was reported in crashes that killed 3,166 people (8.5% of all fatalities).(1)
- Each day in the United States, approximately 9 people are killed and more than 1,000 injured in crashes that are reported to involve a distracted driver.(2)
- Sending or reading a text message takes your eyes off the road for about 5 seconds, long enough to cover a football field while driving at 55 mph.(3)
- In 2015, 42% of high school students who drove in the past 30 days reported sending a text or email while driving.(4)
(1) National Center for Statistics and Analysis. (2017, October). 2016 Motor Vehicle Crashes: Overview (Traffic Safety Facts Crash•Stats. Report No. DOT HS 812 456). Washington, DC: National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. https://crashstats.nhtsa.dot.gov/Api/Public/ViewPublication/812456)
(2) National Center for Statistics and Analysis. Distracted Driving: 2015 in Traffic Safety Research
(3) National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. Facts and Statistics. [cited 2016 Feb 23] Available from: http://www.distraction.gov/stats-research-laws/facts-and-statistics.html
(4) Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Youth Risk Behavior Surveillance- United States, 2015. 2016.